The following Boxers are rescues who come to us in pretty bad shape and require extra medical attention. We will post periodic updates on our patients. As always, donations toward their medical care are greatly appreciated.
Hello World. Saybin here. I came to ABR in mid April. My former family has some illness of their own and decided I would be better off in a home that is able to care for me.
I escaped from my home and went off on an adventure for a couple of days; what was I thinking? While I was gone I hurt my right rear leg pretty bad. It seems I have a torn cruciate. Not so bad? It’s the ONLY rear leg I have. About 3 years ago something happened and I had to have my right rear leg amputated. I was fine with this until now. I’ve been gimping around on my hurt leg so my foster mom took me to the orthopedic surgeon. After poking and prodding and an x-ray, he determined I need a TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) surgery. This isn’t a cheap surgery, costing around $3,000 +/-. My goodness that’s a lot of money but ABR has stepped up to help me have the surgery. Now, I’m asking for you to help ABR help me. If everyone donates just a little bit it will help so much. Skip the gourmet coffee for a day, eat in instead of going out, there are lots of painless ways to help. And it’s so easy...Paypal is our friend. You can donate online here.
In the meantime, I’ll be hanging out at my foster home where the pack welcomed me with open paws. There is only 1 step for me to get outside and Mom helps me get back in. I can get in on my own but it is so much easier when she helps me.
OK then. Thank you for helping me help Atlanta Boxer Rescue help me.
Peanut needs our help! Peanut is a sweet little love bug who came to ABR from a shelter in Chattanooga. She was initially taken to the vet for what was thought to be a UTI, but after further testing it was discovered that she was near kidney frailer and anemic. Peanut was quickly placed on a raw food diet with supplements, and as you can imagine this is expensive. In addition she has been given subcutaneous fluids on a daily basis, but unfortunately her kidneys have not improved and she is currently hospitalized. The vets are looking for the cause of her kidney failure and will be running tests as well as pushing fluids via IV to try to help flush her kidney's. Kidney failure can be caused by parasites, viral, fungal or bacterial infections, cancer, age, trauma, inflammation, or ingestion toxins or poisons, among other things. Treatment depends on the cause but generally involves a good medical history, and testing will need to be performed to find the cause. The cause may be treatable such as infection caused by leptospirosis; an infestation with a parasite such as the giant kidney worm; or exposure to toxins such as the Easter lily or antifreeze.
Initial treatment of kidney disease, involves rehydrating the patient and maintaining normal hydration after that. This is typically done with intravenous (IV) fluids in the veterinary clinic and a special diet that is less taxing to the kidney's. We will do all we can to save Peanut. If you can possibly help us with Peanut's medical bills, please donate here
Gretchen & Milo
We have names! Introducing Gretchen (left, cropped eared girl) and Milo (right, natural eared boy)!! These two are in rough shape physically, so they will be in foster for at least a couple months. Both pups are heartworm positive and had bellies full of intestinal parasites. Milo is currently battling a bad case of kennel cough, and both have upper respiratory infections. Gretchen also has several tumors that will need to be removed. One of particular concern is a large tumor on her hind leg, that has been confirmed as a mast cell tumor. Because of the size and proximity, she will likely need to lose a little muscle in the hind leg to ensure all of the cancer is removed. Gretchen and Milo have a long road to recovery ahead of them, and we can't do it without your help!
Our volunteer who picked Lena up said she was one of the saddest dogs she had ever picked up at a shelter. She is literally a bag of bones. Too weak to walk into the vets office. For now, she is being called Lena. Her condition is very poor...the vet gave her a 1 out of 9. Just finding out how to proceed will be expensive. In spite of her condition, she gave wags everytime our volunteer touched her.
Lena made it through the night, and is eating and pottying. She will have several tests run today. The vet said that she has a bloated stomach, her liver feels enlarged, and she has a significant heart murmur. Amazingly, a heartworm snap test is showing negative. Lena will have X-rays and bloodwork done today, to determine next steps.
We knew that Lena was in bad shape and would be an expensive case, but we just had to give her a chance. Such a sweet soul in such a horribly neglected body. We owed it to her to try! Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers!
Adult heartworms live in the heart and pulmonary arteries of infected dogs. They survive up to 5 years and during this time, the female produces millions of baby worms (microfilaria). These microfilaria live in the bloodstream, mainly in the small blood vessels.
Heartworms are transmitted by mosquitoes. The female mosquito bites the infected dog and ingests the microfilariae during a blood meal. The microfilariae develop further for 10-30 days in the mosquito and then enter the mouth parts of the mosquito. The mosquito bites another dog and transmits the disease to that other dog.
When fully developed, the infective larvae enter the bloodstream and move to the heart and adjacent vessels, where they grow to maturity in 2 to 3 months and start reproducing.
Adult worms cause disease by clogging the heart and major blood vessels leading from the heart. They interfere with the valve action in the heart. By clogging the main blood vessels, the blood supply to other organs of the body is reduced, particularly the lungs, liver and kidneys, leading to malfunction of these organs.
A lot of dogs infected with heartworms do not show any signs of disease for as long as two years. Unfortunately, by the time signs are seen, the disease is well advanced. The obvious signs of the disease are a soft, dry, chronic cough, shortness of breath, weakness, nervousness, listlessness and loss of stamina. A lot of these signs are most noticeable following exercise where dogs can faint from the lack of air passing through their lungs.
There is some risk involved in treating dogs with heartworms. The treatment to kill adult worms is an injectable drug that will kill the worms in the heart and adjacent vessels over a period of about 30 45 days.
Complete rest is essential after treatment: some adult worms die in a few days and start to decompose; the remainder will die during the 30-45 days. As they break up, they are carried to the lungs, where they lodge in the small blood vessels and are eventually reabsorbed by the body. This is a dangerous period, and is it essential that the dog be kept quiet and not be allowed to exercise. The first couple of weeks after the injections are very critical because the worms are dying. A cough is noticeable for 7 to 8 weeks after treatment in heavily infected dogs.
Demodectic mange (also known as red mange, follicular mange, or puppy mange) is a skin disease, generally of young dogs, caused by the mite, Demodex canis. All dogs raised normally by their mothers possess this mite as mites are transferred from mother to pup via cuddling during the first few days of life. Most dogs live in harmony with their mites, never suffering any consequences from being parasitized. If, however, conditions change to upset the natural equilibrium (such as some kind of suppression of the dog's immune system), the Demodex mites may "gain the upper hand." The mites proliferate and can cause serious skin disease
The lesions and signs of demodectic mange usually involve hair loss; crusty, red skin; and at times, a greasy or moist appearance. The mites prefer to live in the hair follicles, so in most cases, hair loss is the first noted sign. Usually, hair loss begins around the muzzle, eyes, and other areas on the head. The lesions may or may not itch. In localized mange, a few circular crusty areas will be noted, most frequently on the head and forelegs of young dogs 3-6 months of age. Most of these lesions will self heal as the puppies become older and develop their own immunity. Persistent lesions will need treatment. In cases in which the whole body is involved (generalized mange), there will be areas of hair loss over the entire coat, including the head, neck, abdomen, legs, and feet. The skin along the head, side, and back will be crusty and oftentimes inflamed. It will often crack and ooze a clear fluid. Hair will be scant, but the skin itself will often be oily to the touch. There is usually a secondary bacterial infection. Some animals can become quite ill and develop a fever, lose their appetite, and become lethargic. Patients with generalized demodectic mange need immediate vigorous treatment.
The treatment of Demodectic mange is usually accomplished with lotions, dips, and shampoos. Fortunately, 90% of demodectic mange cases are localized, in which only a few small areas are involved and can often be treated topically.
Thanks to all of you who step forward to help save these sweet babies!
We couldn't do it without you!